Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Rothenburg ob der Tauber (#6 Germany)



Rothenburg ob der Tauber is an old Franconian town, built sometime in the 11th century, that still has it's encircling wall and defensive towers intact. It's an adorable little town, but a bit commercialized and full of tourists. Despite that, I'd recommend it to anyone taking a trip to Germany.

This is part of the wall, with an attached defensive tower.


This, too, is part of the wall that surrounds the town.

I'm not sure what that cute little house above the wall was used for, but it's darling; wish I could have seen inside.
This church is also built into the wall.


Once we entered the gate to the town, we climbed to the top of the wall to get a good look at the town from that perspective. This is a view of a residential area from the wall. I had a picture of us climbing up the wall, but somehow I managed to delete it from this post so.....use your imagination!
This is Fawn, Peggy, and Liz as we walked inside the wall surrounding the town.


Another view of the wall.


We had a little lunch at a sidewalk cafe. It became a memorable experience, because I was kicked out of the cafe and not allowed to sit at our table!
You'll have to ask me about it the next time we see each other.


Is this building cute, or what!


A street view with one of the defensive towers at the end.


Me with one of the many fountains in the town. As I said in an earlier post, it became a tradition to get my picture taken by every fountain we came across.


There were many of these carriages taking people on tours of the town.


Another street; another tower.


Me and another fountain.


Typical street in the town.


This building in the town square is called the Ratsherrntrinkstube (Councilor's drinking-room).
It was built in 1446 and is special because at the top of every hour. . . . .


. . . . the small windows open to show the main figures involved in what is called "the Meistertrunk." According to tradition, this was a magic potion which the fighting men of the town drank in 1631 before storming out against a besieging army and thus saved the town from destruction.
So at the top of every hour, the windows open, and you see a man in each window drinking from a stein. . . .very cute.


This shop is a very popular, year-round Christmas shop. It's pretty spectacular inside. Unfortunately they wouldn't allow any photography inside, but trust me, it's worth seeing.


And, of course, I had to have my picture taken by their darling little delivery truck.


Can you believe we're only thru our fifth day in Germany?!

1 comment:

E said...

I'm not surprised you were kicked out of that cafe. You can get pretty wild in public. That town looks unreal. I'm getting more and more envious!